Sunday, December 2, 2018

Foothills Quilt DONE!


I have not completed a bed sized quilt for a couple of years and I am very happy to finally have one finished and ready to share!  The above picture shows off the oak leaf quilting that I chose for Cathy at Eagles Wing's Quilts to use for my quilt.  You can read more about why oak trees are a special part of our family story on this blogpost from 5 years ago.


I had the binding all made before I took the quilt to Cathy's so I would be ready to sew it one as soon as I picked up the quilt.


The binding is the same navy blue Kona cotton as the sashing and borders.  I made just the right about of binding!


There was a bit of a breeze when I was trying to get a picture of the back of the quilt today.  Besides the navy fabric, all of the rest of the fabrics in this quilt came from my husband's discarded shirts.  I pieced the shirt backs together to make the back of the quilt.


Another shot of the quilting, taken outside today.

And, here is the completed quilt!


This will be going on the single bed in my daughter's old room.  

This quilt was made during a quilt along with Mary Elizabeth Kinch over the course of several months earlier this year.  It is based on an antique quilt that she showed on her blog last Christmas during her annual 12 days of Christmas quilt show.  The original quilt was 5 X 5 blocks but I decided I wanted a bed sized quilt rather than a square quilt.  The piano key border was added to make it big enough for the bed...I think it frames the quilt nicely!  The original quilt had some quirky piecing and so there are a few quirks here and there in my piecing as well. They are not mistakes...just an attempt to match the flavour of the original quilt.


Today, my husband and I went to the annual Christmas Carol service at the Old St. Thomas Church.  I love to kick off the season by attending this service.  It was a beautiful day with the sun streaming in the windows.  The Salvation Army band played and there were church shaped cookies and mincemeat tarts, and hot apple cider for everyone.


This church service has been held annually for the last 27 years and we have attended it most years since it started.



I will be doing another blogpost about the London Friendship Quilter's Guild sewing day later this week.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the quilt. It looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is a big quilt! It looks lovely, congrats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! What a beautiful quilt finish you have today to share. I just love the pattern and fabrics you chose. And the quilting pattern is very appropriate as well. Enjoy! Happy Happy Wednesday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this quilt over at Let's Bee Social, and it stopped me in my tracks. The palette and design are really fabulous. (Your husband is better dressed than mine -- ha!) Congratulations on this unique finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really beautiful quilt. Your husband has some really beautiful shirts. A quilt from my husbands shirts would be really dull.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this quilt, the colours, the pattern, quilting, everything! And yes your husband has great taste in shirts! I read your blog post from five years ago, such a lovely memory for all your family and I'm glad your quilter agreed to do oak leaf quilting again as it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of this quilt. The colors are fantastic. I also made this quilt. It was one of my first sew-alongs this year. I tried to replicate the colors in the antique quilt. I think I might have to make another one with more modern colors. You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this block design and your color choices are beautiful. The piano keys were a good decision and the corners make for a perfect finish. Well done!

    ReplyDelete