Friday, January 4, 2019

Comfort Quilt Top and Blocks

At the November meeting of the Elgin Piecemakers, everyone brought in their Scrappy Churn Dash blocks for the comfort quilt.  I collected 19 blocks and then made one more to make it 20.  Here is block number 20.  The pattern is from Crazy Mom's blog.  I enlarged the block pattern to a 12.5" block. 


Before Christmas, I put all 20 blocks together and hung them up on my design wall.  I like the variety in the grey background fabrics that everyone used.


I chose some border fabric from my stash as the quilt top was not quite big enough for a comfort quilt with just the blocks.   Then, I got busy working on Christmas projects and the borders had to wait until today when I had time to sew them on.


The borders frame this quilt nicely and make it the perfect size for a comfort quilt for an adult chemo patient at our local hospital.  I just have to put the flannel backing together and I can give it to the long arm quilter so she can do her magic.


At our January meeting later this month, we are to bring a block in using cream, brown and green.  It is hard to see the colours in my picture but it looks brighter in person.

We do not meet in December but will be getting together for dinner next week.  I made a brown and teal block to bring to the dinner meeting.  I used my new drunkard's path rulers for this block.



I went for a walk today with a friend and we saw these geese as we were walking. We don't have any snow yet where I live.  The geese were quite happy to have open water for swimming.



5 comments:

  1. The Scrappy Churn Dash blocks look gorgeous all put together. Someone's going to feel pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use that churn dash block for a comfort quilt. Each block is so unique and interesting to look at the various fabrics, yet the grey blends everything together beautifully. I'm sure the recipient will cherish it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the churn dash quilt! Every block works so well together, which can be difficult when they are made by different people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of your scrappy churn dash blocks, and wonderful that the quilt is going to such a good cause. My adult daughter is undergoing chemo at the moment, and I had both chemo and radiation a few years ago,so I know what the patients are going through.

    ReplyDelete