Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Neutral Swap Blocks

Back in the summer/early fall, I made four months worth of swap blocks for the Elgin Piecemakers Guild swap which I am organizing.  The first four months of swapping have flown by and so I had to dig out my bin of strips and squares and scraps of fabric that I had set aside for this project and get sewing again!


The square in the middle is 2.5" x 2.5".  The next strip is 1" wide and the next one is cut 1.5".   


Then, I trim each block down to 5" square.  There are 10 of us participating in the swap so each month we make 20 blocks.  I take them home after the meeting and redistribute the blocks so each person gets two blocks from each participant.  We all end up with lots of variety in our blocks.  


It takes a lot of blocks to make a quilt so this process will be going on for quite a while yet.  You can see my stack of blocks that I have received so far above.

We are just using neutral colours for our blocks--black, brown, grey white, cream, beige.  This is a great way to use up bits and pieces in my scrap bins as well as odd hunks and chunks of fabric that need to be out of my stash and sewn into something.


Our January meeting is next week.  I have enough blocks made to keep me going for the next 4 months.  That's good because I have other projects with deadlines looming that I need to work on.  I have my next project designed and cut out, ready to sew when Christine comes to sew later this week.  It is a mini swap and I can't show it on the blog until it has been swapped in February.


Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I love this swap idea! How wonderful to assemble a quilt that has blocks made by all your friends!

    ReplyDelete