Saturday, January 12, 2019

Frank, Prague and a new BOM


As you can see, my daughter has made a lot of progress this week on her Prague cityscape counted cross stitch picture.  I'm told that the blue parts are all water of some sort...I wonder what colour she will stitch next?  It will be interesting to see the buildings...


I have been working on my new cross stitch picture---this one is the office window in Frank Lloyd Wright's studio in Oak Park, IL.  Unlike the last picture I just completed, this one is only three colours plus the outlining.  I will be stitching in the car again tomorrow.


The London Modern Quilt Guild had their 5th anniversary meeting today and celebrated with an open house.  There were games, vendors, and of course, cake.  I bought myself a new pair of scissors to keep by my sewing machine for cutting threads.   Aren't they cute?

I also purchased 4 fat quarters to use in my Sarah Fielke Coming Home BOM which starts later this month. I have been gathering up my fabrics this week for this project. The three grays are the backgrounds and the rest of the fabrics will be used for the piecing and appliqué.


I'm sure many of you have been watching the Tidying up show on Netflix lately---I have been tackling my fabric storage area and have been making progress in organizing and,  yes, getting rid of some fabric that no longer brings me joy...I'm actually wondering if some of the discards ever brought me joy...I can't remember ever purchasing some of them!


My fabric has been sorted by colour in plastic drawers for a long time but they were getting messy and some of the drawers would not shut...after some purging and folding, all of the drawers shut and the fabrics are all visible when I open the drawers.


The challenge will be to keep them tidy (and use the fabric!) I have a lot of fabric...  Don't be fooled by these pictures of neat and tidy fabric...there are still piles to be tackled and organized.   The joyless  fabric will be sold at our annual rummage sale at the Elgin Piecemakers Guild meeting---we put the money towards our comfort quilts for adult chemo patients.  I'm hoping that others find joy in my discards!

Finn had a lazy morning today.


I will be linking up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.

11 comments:

  1. Good morning. Your fabric pull for the Coming Home block of the month is very beautiful. It seems everyone I know is watching that show and my co worker whose desk butts against mine was trying to steal a plant off my desk because my desk is so messy. I've had to tidy up. It's hard because a lot of people stick stuff on my desk and my part of the job requires a lot of information which gets dropped off with me. You and your daughter are both making great progress on your cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your fabric choices very much for your next project! Prague is growing steadily, nice to see those swans supported by water now! Finn's photo made me smile. I couldn't make out if he was resting his head on his paws or he's got fluffy chops?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your color sorting - I'm doing some of that too here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet photo of Finn!!!
    I wish I would clean up my stash, but I never do.
    And when I do clean up parts of it, it doesn't last long.
    Enjoy your slow stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice colors for the quilt, they should really pop against the grays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great color sorting in your fabrics. I wish I had such good order in my fabrics. Thank you for inspiration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Finn on today's activities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those scissors are CUTE! Excited to see the next progress on the cross stitches. I kinda feel like Finn today, and I am sure I will tomorrow! I have added your blog to my reader, I found you via Slow Sunday stitching. Have a terrific Slow Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new scissors! Congratulations on straightening up your fabrics. You might not be 100% done, but you've made a good start. Your drawers are so tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. January is the month for organizing. My search for a new recipe had me organizing my cooking magazines. I love those scissors. Your new FLW is really taking shape and your daughter is making great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter's cross stitch is looking great. It's so nice that you can cross stitch with her. Although all my kids know how to knit and sew, none of them do it regularly. I am watching the tidying show as well, but I also read both her books. My fabric scraps are in need of some serious organizing!

    ReplyDelete