Saturday, January 19, 2019

Frank and a Secret Project

Last Sunday, there was some stitching done in the car, and I have found a few moments here and there this week to add a few more stitches to Frank.  I am now at the top edge of the picture and moving counter clockwise around the window.  It's coming along!


My daughter did not get much stitching done this week...she was busy with work...maybe there will be some stitching time for her tomorrow and I will have a picture to show you next week.

I am participating in the Modern Quilt Guild Mini Swap through Quiltcon 2019.  My swap partner lives in Maine, USA.  I have been thinking about this little quilt for a few months, letting several ideas percolate...  About 18 months ago, I took a design class with Jacquie Gering. She told us that she uses sheets of fun foam cut into shapes to help her design her quilts before cutting into the fabric.  This week, I cut into my fun foam and designed my mini swap quilt, picked out some fabrics from my stash, cut out the shapes I needed, sewed and then quilted my quilt.  The quilting was inspired by the walking foot quilting class I took with Jacquie.  Tomorrow, I will add the binding and do the hand sewing.  The label was attached to the backing before I did the quilting.  I'm excited for my swap partner to see what I have made for her!  I can't show any pictures yet as I want it to be a surprise.


I also made the February block for the Elgin Piecemakers Guild comfort quilt project.  I used my new drunkard's path rulers and played with different layouts before sewing the four units together for my red, black and white block. The next block will be purple, green and white...


It's a cold and snowy weekend here... Finn has the right idea--curl up on a cozy blanket and stay warm!

I will be linking up with Kathy's Slow Stitchers in the morning.

7 comments:

  1. I can see your progress on Frank. I love that red, black, and white block. No snow here thankfully, but I want to hibernate like Finn anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Frank piece looks so crisp and precise, just like his buildings. Love that red, white and black block. Very dramatic. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your x stitch is progressing! I love the idea of designing using the foam sheets, it will be interesting to see what you come up with. And I agree that block is very dramatic. And Finn definitely has the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your needlework - it is shaping up! and I like to see the final results. have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think Finn has the perfect plan for today! Love your Drunkard's Path block :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your guild works with different colour combinations each month... it's a fun way to experience all the colours without committing to making a whole quilt.
    Enjoy your hand stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FLW is looking good as does your drunkard's path block. Can't wait to see the swap quilt - I'm sure your USA pal will love it and you will also receive a winner!

    ReplyDelete