Friday, July 5, 2019

The Five Year Project

2014.  That's when I took a stitch and flip class with Jacquie Gering.  


It was my first Jacquie class and thankfully, there have been several other classes with Jacquie since then.  At the end of the class, I asked Jacquie to sign a piece of fabric for the label for my quilt, and somehow, I managed to keep track of it for 5 years until I finished off the quilt this week. 


My biggest hold up in getting this quilt done was deciding how to quilt it.  I finally decided to take it to Cathy at Eagles Wings Quilts to see what we could do to get this project to the finish line in time for the London Modern Guild Quilt show this September. I brought along Jacquie's book, WALK, for inspiration.



I took the top, batting and backing out of the bag and we laid it out to look at it and discuss quilting possibilities.  When I took the book out, it fell open to this page...



Perfect!

Cathy was able to have my quilt done in a couple of days and I went to pick it up.  On Thursday night, I put the binding on and Cathy came over for some slow stitching time in the gazebo after supper.


Cathy worked on an EPP star,


while I hand stitched the binding.


I finished off the rest of the hand stitching this afternoon in the comfort of my air conditioned house.  It is stinking hot here and I was much more comfortable sewing inside today.


I took some pictures of the finished quilt outside in the backyard.


You can see the leaf quilting design well in these pictures.



The binding is a green Kona solid from my stash.


There are lots of fun fabrics in this quilt. The background is Essex Linen.


The quilting adds great texture.


The backing fabric is fun too.


 Now, just the hanging sleeve to go...

I will be linking up with Kathy and the other slow stitchers on Sunday Morning.






9 comments:

  1. I love this quilt. That backing fabric is quite pretty. I like Cathy's EPP piece too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Front and back, both of this quilt are gorgeous and the leaves motif with rounded edges add softness to the overall look. A beauty!
    I also enjoy your cross stitch and Cathy's EPP block. Happy Stitching from me outside Ottawa, stinking hot here too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing this 5 year project! The quilting is perfect... such a clever design idea for the theme of the quilt!
    I'm jealous of the slow stitching party fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing your quilt. It is beautiful and I absolutely love that backing! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilting always seems to be my hang up for getting things done too. I took a class using the Walk book, but I am still scared to quilt things myself. Quilting by check is where I am actually getting things done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt looks amazing and congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt finish! Love the fun backing fabric and where the label is placed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Beautiful finish and love the textured quilting. I need to look for this book - love the idea of walking foot quilting!

    ReplyDelete