Saturday, April 22, 2023

Sunflowers, Sleeves and a Quilt Show!

More colourful petals were added to the sunflower in the centre of my project this week.  This picture will end up being a 12" circle so there is a long way to go still. I like the turquoise background--the colours in the sunflower really pop. 


I may not get as much cross stitching done this week as I have entered 9 quilts into our guild quilt show in early May and I need to hand stitch the sleeves onto 8 of the quilts. (the smallest one already had a sleeve). This afternoon, I made sleeves for 6 quilts and they are all pinned in place and ready to hand sew.  Guess what I will be doing for Slow Sunday Stitching this week???   Here is the information about the show for those of you who might be close enough to attend. 

I made two hot pads for the church Christmas Bazaar this week.  The sewing group will be making more on one of our sewing days and I wanted to make a couple of samples so they could see the finished product. 


It's quilt show season in our area and the first one of the year was in St. Mary's.  I attended with three friends.  We examined every single quilt in the show, did a little shopping, had lunch in the tearoom and enjoyed each other's company.  The quilts were spectacular and the turnout to the show was huge.  I think there was a pent up desire to attend a quilt show after three years of no quilt shows due to the pandemic. I especially liked quilts that included some machine stitching as well as hand stitching.  







Lots of tiny pieces in this "starry night" wall hanging. 



This baby quilt was just plain fun to look at.  I love all of the different textures in the animals. 




Our gardens have new things to look at every day.  It rained this morning and the sedum caught some of the water in the new leaves. 


At the beginning of the week, the azalea looked like this:


A day or two of sunshine and the flowers were in bloom!


Of course, more daffodils bloomed as well. 

Finn spent a day with his cousins, Skye and Kindle last weekend while my husband and I were out. Finn thinks he is the Alpha dog in this group.  





Another walk in Port Stanley this week. This is one of our favourite places to walk during the week.  It's busy on the weekends so we stay away then!



I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

 

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever seen turquoise even weave cloth before. I love the way that sunflower pops on it. I imagine stitching all those sleeves on is going to take more than just this Sunday to do. That is a whole lot of quilts to enter. Do you line the hot pads with anything for heat absorption or resistance? Are they just for setting dishes on the table or for grabbing pots off the stove? I love all the quilt and flower photos! Finn looks quite happy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wonderful to have quilt shows to go to again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in the quilt show. Nice to see blooms in the garden. Today is a bit chilly after a rain day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turquoise is a stunning colour. How do you find it for counting compared to white/beige? I tend to stay away from coloured but should reconsider it. Meanwhile, thank you for sharing the quilts...always such an array of designs and so wonderful to see together. What workmanship shown in the closeups. Lovely blooms...we are not there yet with that ice storm slowing nature down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the turquoise for your sunflower cross-stitch, too - so pretty! Looks like some beautiful quilts at the quilt show and a fun outing. I enjoy seeing the beautiful blooms at your house - Spring flowers are my favorites. Enjoy your sleeve stitching today, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sunflower stitching is lovely. We were only allowed to enter 3 quilts in our show. Beautiful flowers coming out! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Attending a quilt show is always fun. Your sunflower is coming along well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it great to attend quilt shows again? Your sunflower stitchery is so pretty!
    Glad your flowers are blooming!
    Finn is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 9 quilts entered to a quilt show is so exciting. Your sunflower cross stitch project is lovely, with the turquoise background looks like Ukraine colors. Thanks for sharing the quilts from Piecemakers show and the flowers from your garden, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete