Saturday, March 27, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching and a Couple of Blocks

I finally got back to working on my Modern Sampler BOM blocks this week.  I was four blocks behind before this week and now I just have three more to do to catch up!  I have a bin with my fabrics and block patterns in it so it is out on the sewing table now so I can get them done! My focus fabric has glasses on it and then I am using orange and blue stripes and dots for the other fabrics with the gray hash dots for the background. 

I put another blue colour block together as a leader/ender project this week as well.  I have 9 blocks made now and I am aiming for 16 or 20. These will be used for the April scrappy Colour Blocks project. 


Christine and I got together on FaceTime earlier in the week to sew some more logs onto our pineapple blocks.  The three blocks that I started in class are just about done.  I just need to add a few more orange and green logs to make them square. 


You may remember from last week that I had started the remaining 9 blocks that I needed for this project.  I sewed logs on them this week during FaceTime but, after sewing for over an hour, noticed that the middles did not look the same as the blocks above. 


The centre white square should have points and not be cut off by the next white logs.  After consulting with the teacher of the class and doing some measuring of the correct and incorrect versions, I figured out that I had made a trimming error on 7/9 of the blocks.  UGH!  These are small blocks but very time consuming to make.  After sleeping on it, I decided to take the outer white and coloured logs off so that all of the blocks will be the same. 

The top pile is garbage.  The white strips can be used again.  I will try to get back to these this week and make some progress without mistakes!

Love Birds is coming along slowly. The green parts that I am currently stitching are some leaves and then there is another large blue flower. 




My daughter added more stitches to the Munich cityscape.  It is really coming to life as she adds the orange and yellow parts. 


I was doing some sewing by machine earlier today and Finn decided to assist. He is so very helpful!


We were outside reading quite a bit this week. He loves to sit outside in the sunshine on my lap. 


My cable knitting is getting bigger.  This will just be a dish cloth--I wanted to practice doing cables before starting the bigger pattern that I have.  I think I have the hang of it!


We took Finn for a long walk this afternoon at a local walking trail.  There was a pond beside the path with sunbathing turtles. I remember seeing them in the same spot last year. 


I will link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.  

11 comments:

  1. Goodness that was annoying! And a time consuming mistake, but they are such gorgeous blocks I'm really glad you haven't put the project on the back burner. Your love birds cross stitch is growing. Does it have a mrs bird on there too? Finn looks like he's enjoying his holiday with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry you ran into mistakes that is always annoying. looks like you had a lovely walk and the turtles are out - I hadn't taken a walk out at our trails for about a month - weather or something seems to interfere with plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those tiny pieces in your pineapple blocks are amazing. Gosh, they would be tricky and time consuming. These blocks are so striking. Just look at Finn sitting at the sewing machine. Why, I almost expect him to start sewing. Love all those pretty blue squares. As for yours and your daughter's cross stitch, both are coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finn is adorable. Love all your work; you’ve been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pineapple blocks are lovely. So sorry you had to rip. Your stitching and your daughter's are lovely. Finn is his usual gorgeous photogenic self!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much lovely sewing going on, those pineapple blocks are amazing, your walk sounds lovely how nice to see sunbathing turtles wow. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you don't feel too discouraged about your pineapple blocks - the completed ones are gorgeous! That's an adorable photo of Finn looking back at you, and fun to see those turtles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many pretty project going on . Those pineapple blocks are amazing. Hope you have a very lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your walking sounds great, love to see those turtles. You and your daughter made progress on the cross-stitch front. Finn is an adorable dog.<3

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry you had to rip out all those fiddly blocks. You will be happier when they are put to rights though. Your cables look great as does your cross-stitch. I really like how your daughter's cross-stitch is coming along also. Finn is adorable as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Modern Sampler block. The colors are gorgeous and the pieces are very interesting. I was crushed to hear you had to tear apart so many blocks. I really love the oranges & greens you're using. Glad to see Finn is still assisting and that he enjoys a good read! Ha!

    ReplyDelete