Sunday, October 14, 2012

Middlesex County Barn Quilts


My husband and I took a drive this afternoon to look at a few barn quilts in Middlesex county. This one is a "Broken Heart" block.

It was a bit overcast but bright enough to take lots of pictures. "Old Indian Trail"

I loved the look of the weathered barns with the bright quilt blocks on them.  "Tall Pine Tree"

"Butterfly"

This "Spools" block was one of my favourites.

Those soldiers were made from straw bales.

"Old Rail Fence"

"Fireside Visitor"
"Basket Weave"
 
"Geese in Flight" remind us that winter will soon be here.
 
My Grandmother made a "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt for my cousin when she got married.
 
"Elm's Strength"
 
We had a booklet with us entitled "Southwest Ontario Barn Quilt Trails: History Made Local". We read the story behind each quilt block as we stopped to take the pictures.
 
 
The fall colours were a bit spotty--we have had some wind and rain over the last few days and that tends to bring the leaves down.

"Peace and Plenty"
 
 
It was hard to get a good picture of this quilt block "Baby Blocks".

"Drunkard's Path"
 
"Broken Dishes"
 
"Dogwood" was another favourite of mine today.
 
The barn quilts were mostly installed this past Spring and we had hoped to get around to see most of them this summer, but alas, life got in the way and it didn't happen. 
Today's tour was a good excuse to get out of the house and go for a drive in the country.
I hope you enjoyed the tour as much as we did!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gail, thanks for stopping by, I have put your name in the draw, good luck!!!!

    I wanted to respond by email but could not because you have your setting as a "no-reply" blogger :-(

    ReplyDelete