Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Liberated Medallion Part 2

In the previous post, I showed you the beginnings of my liberated medallion quilt that I made at BIQR 2012 last week. I had a good night's sleep and then came up with this idea as I was getting ready in the morning...

I decided to put my daisy on point! I set to work cutting out the green triangles...

The green parts needed something so I added some selvage petals.

At last year's retreat, I made several of these cute little baskets. (You can see the post here) I decided to use them as a border in my quilt but was not sure about adding them right next to the selvage border...

 
I added a narrow fushia border first and then the baskets.

 
It was Gwen's idea to add movement to the quilt by placing the baskets this way instead of putting them on point.
 
I liked this blue fabric as the next border but was not sure about using it in this way--again, I slept on it and in the morning, decided to use a narrow blue border instead.
 
 
At this point, I was not sure what to do next so I made another couple of large pieces of selvage fabric while pondering my options.
 
Then, I the light bulb went on and I set about working on my idea for the final border...
 
 
 
Cutting and sewing and cutting and sewing....
 
 
Can you guess what I made for the final border?
 
 
 
This little monkey, cut from one of my selvages provided encouragement to keep going!


Here is another view of the dock at White Birch Lodge on a misty morning:


5 comments:

  1. Good going on the medallion, those selvages really shine in the bright solids!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good!! And you are teasing us..... Can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you are doing...turning the center block was a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have taken the "selvage" quilt to a whole new level...It just keeps getting better and better.....looking forward to seeing the next border...VERY cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little baskets are just so cute! I love the way they are used here! Can't wait to see what is next!

    ReplyDelete