Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Better Late than Never

Just over a year ago, Fort McMurray in Alberta was devastated by a wild fire which sent people fleeing from the community and burned up homes and businesses.  My friend, Christine, and I decided we would each make a quilt to send to Fort McMurray for families who had been affected by the fire. Christine finished her quilt several months ago.  She used a layer cake and other fabrics in her stash to make her quilt.

It has a cozy, pieced, flannel backing.

I also used a layer cake for my quilt.    

I quilted my quilt on my DSM with a serpentine stitch grid.

I will put these quilts into the mail this week.  I am very happy to finally have this quilt done and ready to send!

I also made my June block for the Elgin Piecemakers Comfort quilt.  We were given a 10" square of the blue dandelion fabric and asked to just use yellow with it and make a block.  I used a pattern from for my circle of squares block.  I did not have enough of the yellow fabric to make a yellow centre in my block so I just used the dandelion fabric instead.

I had a visitor in my backyard this morning.  

It was interesting to watch him pull himself along, going in the direction of my hostas!  Yikes!


  1. Lovely finishes, both of you! Great photo of your visitor!

  2. Great job on the finishes! I really like that circle of dandelions block. So pretty!

  3. How kind and generous with the charity quilts. I like the look of your serpentine stitch, I must remember to try it. Garden hint: Shallow cans filled with beer around hostas can eliminate the slugs.