Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Starting a New Project

A while ago, I saw that Jenifer at 42 Quilts.com is hosting a Modern Monday quilt along--she first did this quilt along in 2011 and has decided to run it again.  Many of the blocks are liberated versions of some traditional blocks.  I have not made a liberated quilt in a while so I decided to jump in and make my own version of the Modern Monday sampler quilt.  There are 64  6.5" blocks in total. A couple of weeks ago, I went searching through my stash for some fabrics to use for this project.  I found these three fat quarters that I purchased over a year ago and decided to use the colours in these fabrics for my version of the quilt.





I am not sure what line of fabric they are from as I cut off the selvages for my selvage collection...

I have some green, magenta and turquoise fabrics picked out as well as some grey which may be used for sashing. Tonight, I made my first four blocks.  I decided not to follow the directions that Jenifer is supplying on her blog...I am just going to look at each of her blocks and make my own version in my own way. 

Here is my first block--Crossroads.


My second block is a liberated Log Cabin--home of a cute little bird. 


Shoo-fly was up next. 


The last one I made was a liberated Churn Dash. 


I'm going to use a little bit of one of the focus fabrics in each block. 

I hope to make some more blocks next week when I get together to sew with Christine again next week. 




9 comments:

  1. Cute! I had that birdie fabric at one point, but can't remember the maker either. This will be a colourful quilt! Are you finished all your UFO's that you started a new project? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fun! It will be a bright and happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this will be so lovely--i like the "liberated" blocks a lot.
    I am starting a modern (pour moi, je pense!!) cross quilt with all SOLIDS--eek ;(((
    I am solid challenged for sure...but, would like to try it..
    and sol have my stash sitting there looking at me...brave new world right?? hugs, Julierose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun blocks. I love the vines fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to join you with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are all so cute! You paired the perfect fabrics to go with the focus fabrics. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great colour scheme, and I especially love that first leafy fabric. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blocks, great colour combos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! Love your color/fabric choices! Well done!

    ReplyDelete