Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Good-Bye, Denise!

One of the members of the Elgin Piecemakers, Denise, left this morning to move to Nova Scotia. On Monday night, we surprised her with a little good-bye party at Jessie's house. At our meeting in early January, we decided we would each make a blue and white block and Pat O. offered to make the blocks into a quilt as a gift for Denise. Here is my block:


I found a block pattern called "Love in a Mist" on the internet that I used, but I made a mistake putting the pieces together and did not notice until after I had the block together. I decided to leave it as it was. I am not sure if the block I made has a name or not!

Here is a picture of the quilt:


And here is the label: We all signed it!
You may wonder why there is an elephant block in Denise's quilt. (Jacqui made the elephant block.) Many of our Elgin Piecemakers Guild members live in or near St. Thomas, Ontario, home of the Jumbo the Elephant statue shown below. Jumbo was a circus elephant who was killed in St. Thomas in 1885 when he was hit by a train. This statue was unveiled in 1985 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his death. This past December, the knitters at "The Little Red Mitten", a local knitting shop which is in an old house across from Jumbo, made him a scarf, which you can see in the picture below.


Jumbo is currently covered in blue shrink plastic to protect him from the elements until the Spring when he will be refurbished. Jacqui thought the blue elephant block would be a good reminder to Denise of how Jumbo looked when she left the area!

My next blog will be about my Grandmother's quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment