Saturday, February 27, 2010

Wild Geese

This block took a little longer to put together this morning as I had to unsew a few seams when I put it together wrong--Oh well... I fixed it and here it is! Block 14 of 25 for the Grateful Heart sampler I am working on. I hope to do a few more blocks this weekend. I made some spaghetti sauce this morning and the house smells wonderful as it bubbles away in my slow cooker. This is the same sauce my mother made almost every Saturday when I was growing up. Here is the recipe:

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce (I think the original recipe came from the side of a Catelli Spaghetti box--I have adjusted it slightly to suit my preferences!)

1 lb lean ground beef, browned with the fat drained off.
1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped finely (My family does not like onions so I don't add them)
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large can diced or ground tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 cups water
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp rosemary

Mix everything together in a big pot and bring to a boil. Turn back to low and let it simmer with the lid on for 4-5 hours. (or you can let it cook all day in your slow cooker on low). This sauce is great with any kind of pasta with parmesean cheese sprinkled on top. I usually make a double batch and freeze it for fast suppers on weeknights when we all get home late and want to eat quickly.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment