Saturday, August 11, 2012

An Afternoon to Myself

My husband is away for the afternoon so I am spending a blissful Saturday afternoon doing a little sewing...

This is my 6th Great Granny Square block.  I am not repeating any of the fabrics in the blocks except for the red centre square. It is fun digging though my pile of fabric  neatly organized stash to find bright and fun fabrics to include in my blocks.  (Actually, most of my stash is organized but more work is required in this area!)

Here are the 6 blocks I have made so far:


Only 14 to go!


I decided to not use the yellow and black swoon block that I showed you a few posts ago...the yellow just did not pop enough against the white background.

I made another swoon block with some black and white polka dots and pink today. I bought the black and white dotty fabric at the Mad About Patchwork fabric party I hosted a couple of weeks ago.  I have 4/9 Swoon blocks completed and fabric picked out for the rest of them.




 Last weekend, my family spent the weekend in Kingston, Ontario where we went to the Sunset Ceremony at Fort Henry.


 The marching band is made up of university and college students.


I had not been to Fort Henry since I was a child when my family went to the Sunset Ceremony and toured the fort!

We also toured Bellvue House, former home of Sir John A. Macdonald, first Prime Minister of Canada.


 In the bedrooms, I took pictures of the quilts on the beds.


A double Irish chain with Baptist fan quilting.

This quilt was on a trunk at the end of one of the beds.

This Log Cabin quilt was on Sir John's bed.

The cradle was used by the Macdonald's for their babies.

On Monday, we went on a boat cruise of the 1000 Islands from Ganonoque.  There were a lot of people on the boat so it was hard to get pictures. The highlight of the trip was a view of Boldt Castle.


Some day, I would like to go back and go on a tour of the Castle.

I am working on a birthday gift for a friend now. I will show a picture of it after it has been gifted.

Have a good weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Yippee for a sewing day! I do like your new swoon, the pieces complement well. Of course I love your "grannies".
    The trip sure had many interesting features, leave it to a quilter to see the historical quilts, I'm glad you snapped pics!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful area of the country to visit. I can remember visiting the castle as a child and thinking it was was quite magical. I've also been the sunset ceremony years ago...quite something to see!

    ReplyDelete