Thursday, August 26, 2010

QNIC with Karen

Karen and I had a QNIC on Tuesday night this week. I worked on putting the borders on my Friendship Braid quilt. It is ready for quilting and Karen and I took it to the quilting man at the end of the evening. I purchased flannel for the back so it will be cozy for the cancer patient who receives this quilt.

I also made a pillowcase out of some fabric that I had in my stash. The pink and yellow fabrics were in a suitcase full of fabric that I received from my aunt after my grandmother died in January. I am going to make pillowcases for all of the great and great great grandchildren out of Grandma's fabric for Christmas. I will make some pillowcases for the One Million Pillowcase challenge as well and donate them to the Christmas Care hamper program in my city. Most of the fabric in the suitcase is poly/cotton broadcloth--perfect for pillow cases. I added my own border fabric to this pillowcase.
The pink book in the suitcase is a basic quilting course published by the Ontario Provincial government--Ministry of Agriculture and Food-- many years ago. My grandmother made notes on some of the pages. I am not sure if she took a course or if she just used the book for ideas. I should ask one of my aunts to see if they know anything about this.
Karen brought over two quilts that she is making for her nephews. This quilt is all done and ready to put into a gift bag. Her nephew's name is Noah and she found this cute Noah's ark fabric with "Noah" on it for the backing.

Karen put the binding onto the other nephew's quilt at my house. It is an animal I Spy quilt. I think her nephews are very lucky to have an aunt who quilts!
I am working on the final border of my selvage quilt. I will post a picture when it is done. I also have 3 more pillowcases ready to sew as well. I am doing them on my serger.

1 comment:

  1. Love how your French Braid quilt finished up. What a great idea backing it with flannel so it will be soft and warm

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete