Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Comfort Quilt Assembly and a Few More Blocks

After a one hour walk this morning, I came home and got to work in the sewing room.  Pat and I are working together to put the Navy and White blocks together for the Elgin Piecemakers' September Comfort quilt.  19 blocks were handed in at our September meeting so I started my day by making one more block so I could do a 4X5 block layout for this quilt. I found the pattern for this block in one of my 100 blocks magazines. 


Next, I laid out all of the blocks on the floor in the hall outside my sewing room.  I ransacked the fabric storage area, looking for possible sashing and cornerstone fabrics.  I had purchased this chevron fabric as backing for this quilt but it kept screaming at me to be used for the sashing, so that is what I did.   I found the red fabric for the cornerstones in my stash.


I sewed almost all afternoon and by the time it was time to make supper, the quilt top was done except for the borders. 


After supper, the borders and red corners were added.


By the time I had cut into the chevron fabric for the  sashing and borders, I knew there would not be enough to make the back of the quilt.  I ended up using some more of the red to make the backing big enough for the long arm quilter to do her magic.


Over the past couple of days, I have been making more Tula Pink 100 modern blocks as well...only 9 more to go now. 






I hope to finish the rest of these 6.5" blocks this week.  Then, I will have to go shopping for the fabric I need to complete this quilt...I have a plan.




2 comments:

  1. That chevron fabric really is screaming but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful effort on the Piecemakers quilt with such a pretty finish. Everything works beautifully together. Also love your Tula blocks. Did I tell you I bought that book...someday. :)

    ReplyDelete